Commonwealth Assistance Notice
A Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) is a statement of your enrolment, a record of the Commonwealth assistance you have accessed as part of your studies and shows what has been deferred via a HELP program for future payment through the Australian Taxation Office.
Your CAN is not an invoice and does not require payment. If you are enrolled in semester and non-semester topics you may receive multiple CANs within the same semester. CANs are generated based on the census date for each topic you are studying.
A CAN is provided to all students who have received Commonwealth assistance, and will include:
- Information about your enrolment
- HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, OS-HELP and SA-HELP loan amounts
- Any up-front payments (student contributions) you have made
- Any loan fee(s) you have incurred
In accordance with Commonwealth legislation, you will be provided with a CAN within 28 days:
- of a topics’ census date for which you have received Commonwealth assistance via HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP
- of the date the debt is incurred for SA-HELP and OS-HELP